Although gingival fenestrations (GFs) occur with relative infrequency, their actual incidence is thought to be much higher. Furthermore, if left untreated, these mucogingival defects can lead to unfavorable sequelae which can compromise the esthetics and stability of the teeth affected. Most GFs require surgical treatment for closure. Previously reported modalities of treatment include connective tissue grafting, acellular dermal matrix allograft, and pedicle flap approaches. This case demonstrates the first documented use of a dehydrated amnion-chorion membrane (dHACM) to treat GF.
A surgical approach involving a double pedicle flap and dHACM with 15 months follow-up is described. Following gentle cleansing of the defect and careful split-thickness elevation of a double pedicle flap, the area of exposure fenestration was covered with dHACM. The overlying flap was then closed carefully to completely cover the dHACM. The case presented shows a successful clinical outcome as characterized by successful closure of the fenestration defect with nice tissue maturation.
The technique described in this case report demonstrates that GFs can be successfully treated with a periodontal plastic surgical approach using dHACM with minimal patient discomfort.
- 1. Gingival fenestration. J Periodontol 1977; 48: 225-227. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.19126.96.36.199.
- 2, , , , . Periodontal plastic surgical technique for gingival fenestration closure. Gen Dent 2001; 49: 393-395.
- 3, , , , , . Coverage of gingival fenestration using modified pouch and tunnel technique: a novel approach. Case Rep Dent 2013; 2013: 1-5. https://doi.org/10.1155/2013/902585.
- 4, , , , , . Resolution of abfraction-associated gingival fenestration utilizing connective tissue grafting. Case Rep Dent 2019; 2019: 1-4. https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/6810670.
- 5, , , . A regenerative approach towards mucosal fenestration closure. BMJ Case Rep 2013; 2013. https://doi.org/10.1136/bcr-2013-009604.
- 6, , , . Repair of a gingival fenestration using an acellular dermal matrix allograft. US Army Med Dep J 2016; 81-84.
- 7, , , . An infrequent clinical case of mucosal fenestration: treated with an interdisciplinary approach and regenerative therapy. J Indian Soc Periodontol 2019; 23: 168-171. https://doi.org/10.4103/jisp.jisp_325_18.
- 8, , , . Management of fenestration using bone allograft in conjunction with platelet-rich fibrin. J Indian Soc Periodontol 2017; 21: 337-340. https://doi.org/10.4103/jisp.jisp_101_17.
- 9 The connective tissue and partial thickness double pedicle graft: a predictable method of obtaining root coverage. J Periodontol 1992; 63: 477-486. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.19188.8.131.527.
- 10 The connective tissue with partial thickness double pedicle graft: the result of 100 consecutively treated defects. J Periodontol 1994; 65: 448-461. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.19184.108.40.2068.
- 11, . Periodontal plastic surgery. Periodontol 2000 2015; 68: 333-368. https://doi.org/10.1111/prd.12059.
- 12, , . A balancing act: mechanisms by which the fetus avoids rejection by the maternal immune system. Reproduction 2011; 141: 715-724. https://doi.org/10.1530/REP-10-0360.